COVID-19 & Housing Resources
Check back often for new information. Questions, suggestions, requests for custom data or maps? E-mail us at email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: On September 4, 2020, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control issued a national moratorium on most evictions for nonpayment of rent through December 31. Learn more:
- CDC Agency Order. Announcement of the moratorium in the Federal Register.
- Overview of National Eviction Moratorium. Explainer by National Low Income Housing Coalition and National Housing Law Project. [Version Español].
- Community Justice Project: Coronavirus Resources. Includes easy-to-understand graphic for tenants explaining the eviction process and the moratorium.
- COVID-19 Tenant Declaration Form Builder. Free online form for tenants to generate declaration to provide to their landlord under CDC requirements. A printable form is available from the CDC here.
- What to Do If You Can't Pay Your Rent. NPR podcast and article with advice for tenants.
Homeowners with mortgages backed by the FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac also may be eligible for mortgage relief through December 31. See explainer from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Employment changes. View Florida's monthly Unemployment Rate, counts of Unemployed Workers, and changes in Employment by Industry. See also our COVID-19 and Unemployment in Florida: September Update fact sheet.
- Workers in Affected Industries. Counts of workers before the COVID-19 pandemic in the Leisure & Hospitality and Retail industries, which are heavily impacted by COVID-19 job losses. Also shows Health Care & Social Assistance workers. Includes average wages and associated affordable rent.
- Population by age. Older persons are at particular risk from COVID-19 health effects.
- Children and Education. COVID-19 has disrupted school and child care arrangements for families with children. Shows number of children, public school students, and homeless students, plus percentages of children without health insurance and Internet access.
- Housing Burden. Households already paying more than they can afford for housing risk falling further behind. Shows median rent and shares of cost burdened renters and owners.
- Congregate Facilities. COVID-19 presents particular difficulties for residents and staff of congregate living facilities. View lists of Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Homes, Other Residential Health Facilities, and Correctional Facilities.
Map of COVID-19 Data Application (population, workforce, congregate facilities)
Where Employees Live and Work
- Accommodation/Food Services, Arts/Entertainment/Recreation, Retail Jobs Map
- Health Care and Social Assistance Jobs Map
Florida's workforce has been hard hit by job losses in the accommodation and food services, arts/entertainment/recreation, and retail industries, while health care and social assistance workers are central to the response to the pandemic. These maps show neighborhood concentrations of jobs in these industries by workplace locations and employees’ home locations. Click any Census tract to see the total number of jobs by business and by workers’ home locations. Rent data is also provided to flag areas where workers may be struggling with high housing costs.
- In person or online? Homelessness complicates back-to-school dilemma. Florida Times-Union, August 15, 2020.
- Remember those most vulnerable as coronavirus threat grows. Orlando Sentinel, March 17, 2020.
- These 55k South Floridians were struggling to pay rent. Then COVID-19 took their jobs. Miami Herald, April 4, 2020.
- How will Home Designs Change in the Age of Social Distancing? archinect, April 22, 2020.
- Miami-Dade gets its first affordable housing plan that includes COVID-19 recovery Miami Herald, July 9th, 2020.
- Minority, low-income Floridians hit hard financially by coronavirus, housing data show Tampa Bay Times, July 9th, 2020.